Friday, November 9, 2012

Cure Pity!!

Something Shannon and I decided quite a while back was that we did not want people to have pity for Trinity. God made Trinity to be a very special little girl and despite her physical disabilities she's still just a little 4 year old enjoying everyday life! Trinity is disciplined just like her siblings and to some people this comes as a shock to them, "Why?" I'm not real sure. Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare (where Trinity has all her care) is asking people to sign the pledge to "Cure Pity". This is to make people aware that kids and adults with disabilities DO NOT want pity! They want to be treated like you and me. Try to avoid staring at them or making comments that reflect pity. Educate your children, because they will have a time in their life when they will encounter someone with disabilities. This past weekend my sister-in-law shared with me how thankful she is that Trinity is in her kids lives. They don't see Trinity for her disability, but instead for her personality! If you would like to sign the pledge please go to: curepity.org

We are blessed to live in such an amazing school district! Trinity has some awesome teachers that work so hard with her. This week we had a progress review meeting for her and she's doing so well, especially in speech! We are so thankful for all their hard work with her!

This month represents the month 5 years ago we found out about Trinity's diagnosis when she was in my womb. I never thought we would be where we are at today, but I'm so thankful for every hardship and joy we have faced! It has helped our family become stronger and has showed me that my deepest desire is for My Lord, Jesus Christ!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

That is fantastic! In the same realm, I have found a lot of the ppl I support have 'learned helplessness' - not only do people pity them, but they do EVERYTHING for them because they can't imagine them being able to do anything for themselves. These attitudes definitely need to stop!

Nikki
Www.madebynikki.blogspot.com – blog design to support a great cause! Get your blog designed, gain new readers, and support our charity partner in the DR and my return to India to work with special needs orphans! Take part in our November discount!

Liz and Will Timmerman said...

Yes, we share this month in common. Our lives are linked by past shared experiences, and I am grateful to know Trinity through your blog posts! xo