Friday, May 16, 2008

Hospital Visit in Iowa

As most of you know last Friday we traveled to Iowa to visit our family and friends. Our week has gone really good up until yesterday afternoon. A good friend of mine, Caprice, took me to Des Moines for a girls day. My mom watched the girls for me and gave me some time to myself. On our way home and about to pull into my mom's driveway she calls me and says that Trinity is very lethargic and has some welts on her face. By the time I got inside the house Trinity was covered in welts and was not waking up. I immediately called Shannon, who is in Michigan, to see what he thought we should do. We called Trinity's neurosurgeon and she wanted us to get her to a children's hospital right away. My Aunt Robin works at the Medical Clinic in Monte and had us bring her in there first to make sure she was okay to travel. Before leaving for there we were real close to calling the ambulance. Dr. JB Paulson checked her over and thought that it looked like she had hives. We then took her on to Blank Children's Hospital in Des Moines. Normally something like this they would have just treated at the Medical Clinic with some antihistamine, but because of Trinity's situation we have to be very cautious of her shunt.
When we got to the hospital they got us right into the ER and got Trinity checked, drew some blood, and started an IV. The doctors ran some tests of which all came back normal. They are still waiting on the culture that could take about 48 hours to get back. As the night went on Trinity's hives got better and she was acting a lot more alert. They gave us the option that we could admit her into the hospital and wait to get the rest of the tests back or we could go on home. They felt like her shunt looked fine and the swelling had gone down around the shunt. I felt comfortable with how Trinity was looking and that she was improving so we chose to go back home (Lynnville).
Trinity slept really good thru the night and when she woke up this morning she didn't have any hives. We are not real sure what caused this it could be a number of things. Because she has a latex allergy it could also be that she came into contact with that and we just didn't know it. Aubree was also diagnosed on Wednesday with the Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. Part of me feels that it is a little ironic that she broke out with that a day before Trinity breaks out in hives, but the doctors don't think it has anything to do with Trinity.
Please continue to pray that the rest of our stay in Iowa goes a lot less stressful and no more visits to the doctors or hospitals. I guess Trinity just wanted to see what Iowa hospitals were like!!
I hope you enjoy this beautiful weather and have a great weekend. Thank you for all your continued prayers.

No comments: