Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Better Than a Fairytale

I always dreamed of what my life would look like when I was older; I would be married, kids, great career and living somewhere fabulous (warmer than -15)! We always think we have control of our destiny in life, but how mistaken we are. We plan, write out our lists, our goals and then there are those roadblocks that happen. The ones that we get angry about and don't understand what happened. The times that we question God and become angry with Him for our circumstances. You all know those times I'm talking about. I have had many times like this. But there is always one that sticks out in my head the most, the day we found out about Trinity.

I remember feeling anxious about the ultrasound, but a good anxious. Shannon and I hadn't decided yet if we were going to find out the gender, so I remember when the tech asked us if we wanted to know we both looked at each other and decided, no. But then what happened next felt unusual. The tech became quiet and soon asked us to join the doctor in the other room. This seemed very unusual since we were only there for an ultrasound and not a checkup. Once the doctor came in, he seemed very worried and anxious. He told us they seen something on the ultrasound, but to be safe he wanted us to go have a high risk ultrasound done the next day. I remember feeling confused, but wasn't too concerned. The next day we went and had our ultrasound. The tech called in the doctor and as he was looking at the screen he said these words, "I'm sorry, your child has Spina Bifida.". I remember feeling numb and then both Shannon and I looked at him completely confused and said, "What?". He thought that my OB had told us what they had seen the day before. He felt horrible and in that moment my body went numb and I felt sick to my stomach. We had never heard of Spina Bifida and didn't know anything about it. I will say that day changed our lives forever. This was the beginning of many doctor appointments, meetings and non-stress tests. One meeting that turns my stomach, was being asked if we were going to abort our pregnancy because of the prognosis we had gotten. That was never a thought or an option for Shannon and I, but for some people that option is the only thing that seems easiest.

We look at these moments as if our world is crumbling. We feel like we are sinking and reaching for something to save us. That moment for me, God became my lifesaver. And ever since He holds me and strengthens me.
What trial in life are you facing right now, but seem to be reaching for all the wrong things? Is your lifesaver God, or are you grasping for the things of this world to save you?

The sermon at our church on Sunday was fantastic!! Pastor Brian talked a lot about "Living Full". The verse came from John 10:10 NIV, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

He gave us 6 things to show us what it looks like to "Live Full": *A Joy that spills (notify your face!), *Embodied Certainty (God wins!), *Bigger than our circumstances (Live full, fully in your circumstances!), *Aware and humble about your humanity, *Never at the expense of another person (put yourself 2nd), *Surrender to Christ!!
Are you living a joy that is specific to your faith? Are your circumstances bigger than your faith?

At this time, 6 years ago, my circumstance almost had the opportunity to steal my joy, but I'm incredibly thankful I didn't let it. Because of that circumstance, I now have the most beautiful blessing, that teaches me daily that my joys in life do not come from the things of this world, but they come only from my faith in Jesus Christ!!


**If you would love to hear the whole sermon you can go to www.westwoodcc.org

1 comment:

Brian Suter said...

Hi Miranda - Lisa shared with me about your blog. Love these thoughts you share here, and I'm glad to know that the message was impactful. I'm also glad I know that you're writing here too! See you around Westwood